September 4, 2013
We have completed the first week of school. Welcome back to what I believe will be another great year marked by more amazing student accomplishments.
The tentative 2013-14 school year calendar is now posted on the District website at www.pvpusd.k12.ca.us. The work year (calendar) is a subject of negotiations. Once that process is completed, we will share any revisions to the tentative calendar.
The dates for Back to School Night are:
- Elementary Schools – Thursday, September 12th (Minimum Day - Friday 9/13)
- Intermediate Schools – Thursday, September 19th (Minimum Day – Friday 9/20)
- High School – Thursday, September 26th (Minimum Day – Friday 9/27)
District Goals for 2013-14
The Board of Education has approved the following goals for the 2013-14 school year.
- Goal # 1 - Support the academic achievement of all students through a rigorous and balanced curriculum, as we transition to the K-12 implementation of the Common Core State Standards while continuing to foster critical thinking, collaboration, creativity, and communication skills.
- Goal # 2 - Establish and implement multi-year plans in order to ensure the fiscal stability of the District and to support a high quality instructional program.
- Goal # 3 - Enhance communication and collaboration between and among District staff, students, parents, Board of Education and community.
Common Core State Standards
The first in a series of informational pieces on the Common Core State Standards is posted on the District website at www.pvpusd.k12.ca.us.
The Business Department is preparing an updated budget presentation for the September 11th Board of Education meeting. District staff has completed the process of closing the books for 2012-13 (unaudited actuals) and can now use updated enrollment projections based on actual student counts, not projections. Even though, some of the details about the new state funding model “Local Control Funding Formula” are still fuzzy, school districts are currently using the information that is available to change their multi-year funding projections.
At this time, enrollment is down about 125 students compared to last year. Most of this decline is at the elementary school level. There are about 50 less students in the Transitional Kindergarten (TK) / Kindergarten (K) programs compared to last year, this has led to less TK-K classrooms in PVPUSD. Since the 2006-07 school year, the trend has been a decline in enrollment at the elementary school level and an increase in enrollment at the secondary school level.
Student Performance - DISTRICT RESULTS
STAR Test results for 2013 and API scores are in, and once again our students performed very well. The overall District API score of 924 (same as 2012-13) demonstrates that our students are mastering the current California Content Standards. I would like to recognize both Miraleste Intermediate School and Soleado Elementary School for significant gains in the API.
The percentage of students scoring proficient or advanced in both English Language Arts and Math remains impressive. It is obvious that the hard work and effort of our teachers and support staff continues to pay dividends.
The California Department of Education (CDE) reports that statewide there was a slight decline in student performance on the California Standards Tests (CST) from 2012 to 2013. The decline is attributed to the budget reductions school districts have been facing and to the fact California is transitioning to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS).
District STAR Summary - Proficiency/Advanced Levels
Our success is not limited to STAR and/or the API, our students continue to perform very well on college preparedness tests such as Advanced Placement, ACT, and SAT. The District’s success is not an accident. It is the result of a supportive community, dedicated teachers, counselors, administrators, and support staff who push themselves every day to provide the best programs possible for our students.
New Management Team
There have been many changes in the District since the end of June. I believe we have put together a very talented leadership team that will continue our long record of success as a school District. Changes at the school sites since 2012-13…
- PV High School Principal – Dr. Charles Park
- PV High School Associate Principal - Rich Boccia
- Rancho del Mar High School Dean/Counselor – Adam Genovese
- Miraleste Intermediate School Principal – Kevin Allen
- Palos Verdes Intermediate School Assistant Principal – Salvatrice Kuykendall
- Cornerstone Elementary School Principal – Jeff Keeney
- Rancho Vista Elementary School Principal – Bill MacDonald
- Point Vicente Elementary School Principal – Beth Hadley
- Vista Grande Elementary School Principal – Jeri Delatorre
- Valmonte Early Learning Academy – Codean Reed
- Mira Catalina Elementary School Principal – Grace La Tegola
- Montemalaga Elementary School Principal – Becky Egan
- Silver Spur Elementary School Principal – Jane Tasker
- Soleado Elementary School Principal – Gina Stutzel
Board of Education Elections
Congratulations to Tony Collatos, Malcolm Sharp, and Barbara Lucky for being reelected to the Board of Education. No challengers filed for election by the statutory deadline, so the election was cancelled, saving the District approximately $200,000.