Welcome back! It has been an exciting first week of school. The students are already working hard, the teachers are in full swing, and the plants are growing back after a long summer of drought. I would like to send a special thank you to all of the students and parents of Soleado for welcoming me with open arms. I feel blessed to be part of such an extraordinary school.
Just a few reminders as we move into the next few weeks of school…
In order to ensure that our students have ample time to socialize with their peers and develop appropriate social skills, please refrain from going down onto the playground with your child in the morning when you drop them off. Parents should remain in the front of the school and allow their child to walk to the playground, find their friends and begin their school day. This will help them to build a sense of independence and self-confidence.
Children will not be allowed to arrange play dates once the school day has begun. All play dates must be arranged by parents before school begins. In addition, if you have arranged for a play date and your child will be going home with another parent who is not on your emergency card as having permission to take your child off campus, your child must have written permission in order to be released to the other parent. A phone contact will not suffice.
As a reminder, student lunches should be arranged before the child arrives at school. If your child will not be participating in the school lunch program, send them with the appropriate lunch. If your child forgets their lunch, we will provide them with a cheese sandwich, fruit and milk or juice and you will be billed. The office staff will not deliver lunches to the classroom once the school day has begun.
Back to School Night will be on Thursday, September 12. Parents of TK – 3rd grade students will meet in the MPR at 6:00 for a brief meeting with me before reporting to their child’s classroom. Parents of 4th and 5th grade students will meet in the MPR at 7:15 for a brief meeting with me. Fifth grade parents will remain in the MPR to meet with their teachers and the 4th grade parents will report to their child’s classroom. I am looking forward to seeing all of our returning parents and meeting new families at our Back to School night.
Friday, September 13th will be picture day. Make sure to shine the kids up and send them to school with a smile on their faces. They will need to bring their order form with them so don’t forget to send it. Friday will also be a minimum day and all students will be dismissed at 12:45. TK and Kindergarten parents remember to pick your child up at the Flaming Arrow gate at the back of the school. This is where you will pick your child up every Monday and on all minimum days.
ALL adults MUST SIGN IN AT THE OFFICE and receive a visitor’s badge. No adult is to be past the gates or front office without signing in!
Over all, the opening of the school year has been quite smooth. We are still working out a few bugs with the TK/Kindergarten pick up and I would like to offer the following ways that parents can help us in this area.
1. All TK and Kinder parents should remain in their cars and continue to pull forward in the line. Your child will be escorted to the car and put in when you are close to the Kindergarten gate.
2. If you would like to park on the street and walk down to get your child, please remember to wait for them outside of the gate so that teachers can easily locate students whose parents are waiting in cars.
3. Parents of 1st and 2nd graders should not enter the parking lot earlier than 2:30. We need to have all of the TK and Kinder students safely in their cars before the upper grade parents begin parking along the curb. Parents of 3rd, 4th and 5th graders should not enter the parking lot earlier than 2:50. We need to have as many of the lower grade students as possible picked up before adding the additional cars of the upper grades.
4. Pick up on Flaming Arrow is for TK-K only! All other grades levels must wait at the front of the school to be picked up.
5. If you place the name of the child you are picking up on a piece of paper on your dashboard, the process of locating and loading your child will be quicker.
6. Please abide by the street safety laws while you are waiting to turn into the school. No one should be driving on the wrong side of the street to turn into the school “stop and drop!”
7. No children should ever be in the parking lot when traffic is present. Parents are not permitted to park in the lot and walk their child to their car.
Thank you all in advance for your support in making our traffic flow as smooth and safe as possible.
Once again, welcome back to Soleado! I am truly looking forward to a terrific year of learning and growth for all of our students.
Mrs. Gina Stutzel